The State Health Insurance Assistance program, or SHIP, provides free objective information about insurance and benefits. The program assists community members with Medicare, supplemental claims information, appeals and resolving problems.
A free health benefits counseling program for Medicare beneficiaries and families or caregivers. Our mission is to educate, advocate, counsel and empower people to make informed benefits decisions. SHIP is an independent program developed by federal agencies and is not affiliated with the insurance industry. The program is a partnership of the Department of Economic Security Division of Aging and Adult Services and the Area Agencies on Aging.
SHIP Volunteer Counselors are trained and certified to offer confidential one-on-one assistance. They do not sell, recommend or endorse any specific insurance product, agent, or insurance company.
SHIP Volunteer Specialists can help with:
- Medicaid (AHCCCS) eligibility, benefits and claim filing
- Medicare Part D (Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage)
- Long Term Care Insurance Information
- Medicare Secondary Payor
- Other types of health benefits
- Medigap Insurance
- Medicare Advantage Plan options and Enrollment
- Medicare Cost Sharing program (SMB, SLMB, QI1) and other dual eligible enrollment
- Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, Waste and Abuse
- Information regarding Medicare Costs and Deductibles
- “Extra Help” programs designed to assist with out-of-pocket costs
- Information & assistance for Social Security programs- Low Income Subsidy (LIS), SSI and SSDI